[lbo-talk] Mark Weisbrot: Why Paul Krugman should be President Obama's pick for US treasury secretary

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 13:35:02 PST 2013

On 2013-01-05, at 2:55 PM, Sean Andrews wrote:

> If we've learned anything from the Tea Party it's that mediating your
> demands to fit in the limits of the mainstream does little to win
> concessions for your side. Better we just go ahead and push him to nominate
> Yves Smith or Nomi Prins (the latter was at Goldman for a while so she
> might be a shoe-in ;-). In that spectrum, Krugman seems like a centrist.
>
> Jeff Sachs and Joe Stiglitz would also be interesting - though I don't know
> what kind of technical proficiency you need to bet treasury secretary at
> this point.

Ha! You're such compromisers. Why not Doug Henwood as Treasury Secretary?

Doug, how do your Wall Street credentials match up to those of Jack Lew, Erskine Bowles, Bob Altman, and Larry Fink?

Also, if appointed, would you be agreeable to appointing Carrol Cox as an undersecretary since he too appears to have an excellent understanding of the relationship between Wall Street and the state?