[lbo-talk] Andie reviews Les Misérables

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 06:18:24 PST 2013

Ravi: "Was Turing a giant of computing? Yes, along with Church, Gödel, Von Neumann, "

[WS:] Actually, along with Zygalski and Rejewski on whose work he improved, but who were considered "too risky" to work at Bletchley Park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biuro_Szyfr%C3%B3w

I happen to think that Turing & Co work was a far greater contribution to humanity than that of most protesters, since breaking German codes was highly instrumental in defeating the Nazis in WW2 (James Heartfield notwithstanding). The fact that someone is taking a greater personal risk may be an indication of the character, but not necessarily of the significance of one's sacrifice. I come from a culture where martyrdom for lost causes was highly valued, so I am naturally skeptical of all signs of martyrdom. My own attitude is to fuck them over and live to tell about it.

-- Wojtek