[lbo-talk] Andie reviews Les Misérables

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jan 16 06:31:49 PST 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ravi: "Was Turing a giant of computing? Yes, along with Church, Gödel,
> Von Neumann, "
>
> [WS:] Actually, along with Zygalski and Rejewski…

And Skolem, and Post, and Russell, and on and on. I wasn’t trying to be exhaustive. :-)

> The fact that someone is taking a
> greater personal risk may be an indication of the character, but not
> necessarily of the significance of one's sacrifice. […]

Perhaps, but I was not talking about character, risk or sacrifice, but political consciousness. At any rate, there was no sacrifice involved in Turing’s working for the government to crack codes (nor do I think Swartz is exemplary for sacrificing himself).

—ravi