[lbo-talk] If They Can Lie About NSA/Snowden, They Can Lie About Syria and Iran

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Jul 3 10:24:12 PDT 2013

Shane Mage writes:

> If Clapper's lie wasn't a lie, what could possibly be one?

Did you read his explaination? It sounds reasonable to me, especially since his aides realized the problem right away and talked to Wyden's folks after the meeting. He misunderstood the question. That makes him not-so-great at his job, not a felon.

> ... even more monstrous is the assertion that his lie was "well
> within the rules." It ain't the "rules." It's the law.
> Perjury is a major felony.

Um, so is willful disclosure of classified information.

Anyway, I don't think that was perjury.

I think Wyden asked him a question that he wasn't expecting and made a mistake. I think it's difficult to be a part of these things without twisting you're head around. If Wyden asks him a question in a secret briefing, he gives one answer; if he asks him the same question in a public hearing, he gives a different answer. That seems fine to me.

The real question is: what is Wyden doing asking a question in public that he knows has a classified answer?

/jordan