[lbo-talk] Egyptian Revolutionaries will regret support for military coup

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Sat Jul 6 00:23:51 PDT 2013

I did find Gar Lipow's post helpful in trying to understand why the military imposed such a flawed and hasty democratic tradition in the first place. I guess if they are 95% of the problem, any solution they put together is unlikely to be helpful. Even so, what they did put in place will leave a dreadful and probably bloody legacy. That is to say, they gave the Moslem Brotherhood an incontrovertible claim to be the legitimate government of Egypt. We can only hope it doesn't lead to another and perhaps worse Algeria.

Quite obviously the Egyptian military are led by a bunch of buffoons. The best solution would be for an outside military invasion that would probably sweep away what I suspect to be an organisation that is as incapable of defending the country as it is governing it.