[lbo-talk] Tim Wise loses it

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:10:46 PDT 2013

I've always been fond of St. Anselm's ontological proof (if God is the greatest thing, not existing would contradict his maximal greatness by definition, therefore he must exist)---not that I buy it, but I admire its elegance.

And I've always been bothered by the word "believe" in the question "Do you believe in God?" People seem to use it as if it's equivalent with the "believe" in the question "Do you believe that another A train will come in a few minutes?" or (yet another nonequivalence) "Do you believe that water really is H2O?"

A more interesting question is "What role does God play in your understanding of how things are?"---a question that people could talk about with interest in others' differing answers and without being tempted to use belief/nonbelief as a weapon.