[lbo-talk] Tim Wise loses it

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:32:39 PDT 2013

My problem with discussing any notion of deity is that it is a mega-Rorschach blot - people project into it whatever they want, so the word could mean anything and means nothing in particular. A better way of asking is what role does a belief in an entity that has attribute X play in your life?" where X is variable for things like more important than my life, more powerful than human power, just, immortal, all-knowing, benevolent, avenging (punishing/rewarding) etc which people typically attribute to deities. I would throw in other interesting attributes as well such as male/female, artistic, beautiful/aesthetically pleasing/invisible, parent-like, spouse-like, royal/presidential, etc.

wojtek