[lbo-talk] "The Point Is To Change It" was White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 08:05:14 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> It is essential to recognize that "The point is to change it" is an
> epistemological proposition. Seen as a political statement it is merely a
> mere truism, of no more interest than "Can't we all just get together?" But
> as epistemology it is revolutionary.
>
> We really can't do without the slogan of "Fight Racism." It is in the
> process of struggle that we work out the concrete practices that confront
> the material bases of racist ideology.
>
> Carrol

^^^^^^^ CB: "the point is to change (the world) is in the 11th Thesis on Feuerbach. The Second thesis is explicitly epistemological as Carrol puts it, and the 11th continues the same theme:

"The question whether objective truth can be attributed to human thinking is not a question of theory but is a practical question. Man must prove the truth — i.e. the reality and power, the this-sidedness of his thinking in practice. The dispute over the reality or non-reality of thinking that is isolated from practice is a purely scholastic question. "

And the First Thesis , being first, really makes Carrol's point. The whole point of the Theses on Feuerbach is to found _activist_ or practical materialism, when all previous materialism had _passive_ . were contemplative, rather than active. It considered people as passive objects receiving information rather than active subjects. Idealism had been "active or practical", but not in the "senuous" world..

"The chief defect of all hitherto existing materialism – that of Feuerbach included – is that the thing, reality, sensuousness, is conceived only in the form of the object or of contemplation, but not as sensuous human activity, practice, not subjectively. Hence, in contradistinction to materialism, the active side was developed abstractly by idealism – which, of course, does not know real, sensuous activity as such.

Feuerbach wants sensuous objects, really distinct from the thought objects, but he does not conceive human activity itself as objective activity. Hence, in The Essence of Christianity, he regards the theoretical attitude as the only genuinely human attitude, while practice is conceived and fixed only in its dirty-judaical manifestation. Hence he does not grasp the significance of “revolutionary”, of “practical-critical”, activity. ""