[lbo-talk] Apple conspired to raise e-book prices

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:04:13 PDT 2013

Joanna; " for a good while they delivered superior products"

[WS:] Many doubt that. For example, their main attraction for a while was graphic interface, which they "borrowed" from Xerox.

>From the start, their strategy was niche-seeking where they had few or no
competitors. So the quality of their products was not exactly comparable.

They maintained the impression of superiority through clever marketing stunts and appeal to snobbery - as long as they did not face any serious competition. But as soon as others moved to their market niches, they started losing ground. The smart phone or tablet market is a case in point.

Personally, I think that the only reason they can stay in business despite their monopoly pricing is their aggressive marketing based on appeals to cultural identity and snobbery.