[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:21:47 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-11, at 6:08 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Marv Gandall <marvgand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, since you ask, Michael Smith ("I find harping about racism (or, worse yet, 'structural racism') so tiresome and retro") and Wojtek ("This discussion had relevance some 70 to 50 years ago, but it is becoming irrelevant today"), and I thought yourself, at least initially ("This notion of white supremacy is way way out of date - which, of course, doesn't stop people from robotically reciting it as if nothing has changed since 1957") though you seem to have taken some distance from that view since then.
>
> To say that something has changed radically in 50 years isn't to say it's gone, you know.

We agree it hasn't gone, then. It's true the legal impediments to racial equality have been largely eliminated and young people today are more immune to race prejudice, but otherwise how radically it has changed - in view of the statistics, contemporary news accounts, and personal anecdotes cited on this thread - is very much open to debate.