[lbo-talk] "Them"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 15 06:45:08 PDT 2013

Back in the '70s there was a riot at the Pontiac state prison, and a guard was killed. (He had recently been transferred there from Joliet.) Eight black prisoners were charged with murder. We organized a defense of the Pontiac Brothers. LocallBack in the '70s there was a riot at the Pontiac state prison, and a guard was killed. (He had recently been transferred there from Joliet.) Eight black prisoners were charged with murder. We organized a defense of the Pontiac Brothers. Locally, relatives of prison guards attended a panel we held at ISU on the case. I forget her exact words, but one woman in effect declared: "_They_ got one of us; now we have to get several of them" -- the point being that it didn't matter if the accused were innocent, _one_ of 'them' obviously was, hence killing eight of them was perfectly reasonable.

Carrol