[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] NYT: Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 03:57:39 PDT 2013

J Catron This is not a very emphatic or scientific discomformation . "I THINK" !! "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL" !! "I think there were MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, this time"

Charles

tory in the last few weeks. The nationwide anti-government demonstrations were certainly a massive show of people power. But were the crowds really as large as reported, and how would you try to find out?

Protesters against the government of Islamist Mohammed Morsi, Egypt's first democratically-elected president, took to the streets of Cairo and beyond in huge numbers, before the army then removed the leader on 3 July.

It has been claimed that 30 million people took to the streets.

"I think that's a gross exaggeration," says Middle East correspondent Wyre Davies, from Cairo.

"It doesn't feel any bigger than it did in 2011 when we had the revolution. About half a million people can fit in Tahrir Square. So it's impossible to say when there's a big protest in Tahrir Square, that there are millions of people there.

"I think nationwide there were millions of people this time protesting against the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood, but nothing like the 30 or 40 million people some people quoted. That's 45% of the population - that's impossible; there are too many young people in Egypt for the maths to work.