[lbo-talk] Why the Left Can't Inspire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 20 12:10:23 PDT 2013

Marv Gandall

> On 2013-07-19, at 4:17 PM, Wojtek S wrote: [clip]

MG: Actually, polls consistently show a majority of Americans - a bare majority,
> admittedly - have a favourable view of unions. This is quite remarkable in
> view of the constant drumbeat of propaganda directed against trade
> unionism, [CLIP]

The problem for left activists is not the lack of many who agree with them; it lies deeper in lack of confidence that anything can be done.

On the eve of Gulf War One, of Afghanistan, & of the Iraq invasion there was a tremendous turnout against those wars; that turnout disappeared almost immediately after the wars began. There was a similar turnout immediately after Wisconsin, which also faded.

If a third of the people who agree with left views would turn out, there would be millions in the streets. But there is no "quick" way (as must be the case with agitation) to evoke such confidence..

And no one really knows how this passivity can be altered. And that brings us back to plugging along, hoping the spark will come from somewhere.

Occupy did a lot -- but apparently more is needed.

Carrol

P.S. I'll be gone for three weeks. My son and his wife (just married in NYC) are having a second wedding in her parents' home town in Rumania. After the wedding we are doing a bit of travelling. We will be back Aug. 10. Long trip tomorrow: Chicago to Frankfort to Bucharest.