[lbo-talk] Edward Snowden, Enemy of the State

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 07:17:20 PDT 2013

Wouldn't you say individual temperament counts for more than political outlook? It seems to me more important whether someone is thoughtful and responsible than where they currently position themselves politically - left, right, or centre. There's plenty of two-way traffic between left and right in a crisis when political views evolve rapidly and old allegiances are shaken. Those expected to be on one side of the barricades not infrequently end up on the other. Today's young Ron Paul supporters, for example, remind me of those conservatives in the Young Americans for Freedom and other organizations who moved left under the impact of the Vietnam war and the effect it had on their ideals. More generally, of course, masses of tradition-bound workers and peasants were tied to the old order...until they weren't.