[lbo-talk] Edward Snowden, Enemy of the State

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 07:44:39 PDT 2013

[WS:] I think it is more type of interaction and discourse than individual temperament, at least in most cases. Not facing your interlocutor but instead talking to a computer screen is certainly dehumanizing and provoking more hostility than in a face to face conversation.

But more importantly, I think that we have a situation that organization theorists Cohen. march and Olsen call "garbage can model". This means that organizations - and that certainly extends to media, internet, etc - act as repositories of ideas and solutions to problems that do not necessarily exist. Hence the metaphor of the "garbage can". The argument is that these ideas and solutions simply sit there waiting to be applied to problems as they emerge. That process of application is collective - different factions define a given situation as a different type of problem, and different factions draw different "solutions" to so defined problems from the "garbage can." The definition of the solution to it that gets accepted is one that is least objectionable to all participants.

Hack propagandists know that and try to frame the problem in a manner that resonates with "stock knowledge" - a term that sociologists use to denote ideas commonly believed to be self evident and accepted without any further proof. This way, they have a better chance of their definition of the problem and solution to it being accepted by the group. Fear mongering about government power is a common trope in the American discourse and it never fails to make people jumping on the bandwagon. Since Obama administration is pretty scandal free - their Repug opponents must manufacture them to stoke up anti-administration sentiments. The IRS "targeting" conservative groups or government "spying" are such attempts.

These assholes are grasping for straws but do it remarkably well.

In any case, if we had institutional forces countervailing the power of business, we would probably have a more rational discourse about issues.

But in the current climate, the shots are called by Faux News and pro-business propaganda machine and people simply react to based on their political affiliation rather than anything else. Rational discourse and dialogue take the back seat in such environment.