[lbo-talk] Pregnancy, annoying prenatal advice from uninformed people, and global warming denial

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 07:29:57 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Arthur Maisel <arthurmaisel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Undoubtedly a part of the picture, but the effects of huge amounts of money
> spent on propaganda against climate change shouldn't be ignored. One could
> nitpick over whether the tendency described in the essay is really "human
> nature" or the result of a culture in which so many important truths are
> provisional---because scientific. It's hard to imagine anyone being willing
> to be burned at the stake rather than to deny climate change (I use that
> example precisely to avoid seeming to be nostalgic for a time when truths
> were not so provisional).

Your points are both valid, but don't detract from the usefulness. Describing something as "human nature" is always problematic, and almost always an error. But that does not change the fact that this very informal personal story is a sharp bit of observation even if the analysis is not brilliant. And while this social phenomenon is only part of global warming denial, it has useful implications for people engaged in public discourse on the subject.

Finally as to willingness to be burned at the stake: people have gone to jail for long terms to protest global warming. James Hansen has willingly suffered a serious loss of social status by publicly and bluntly discussing the seriousness of the crisis. Quite honestly, being willing to die for a cause is *less* common that being willing to publicly take stands that expose one to public vituperation and ridicule. While I'm not sure your particular counter-factual counts as the useful kind, in case in does, my guess is that it is the one point on which you are mistaken.