[lbo-talk] The problem with the NSA

Andrew Battle andrew.battle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:58:55 PDT 2013

Hello, new subscriber so apologies if this has been discussed already. But there was a coordinated national response that has turned in some ways into a national offensive. One example is the use of grand juries to harass and imprison activists in the Pacific Northwest last year and now in NYC with the Jerry Koch case. Grand juries are valuable to prosecutors for their secrecy, as are these surveillance programs. The investigation of a crime (in Koch's case, one that allegedly occurred in 2008) is used as a pretext to conduct a fishing expedition that builds a profile of networks of radicals in a given city. The script runs approximately like this: "We are investigating XYZ crime [usually property damage] and we have reason to believe you have information related to it. Now tell us who your friends are, who your family is, everyone you've ever lived with, associated with, played board games with, etc etc, or you're going to federal prison for refusing to cooperate." The people being targeted here are not accused of the crime in question or any other crime.

The surveillance issue and the abuse of grand juries intersect. Koch's lawyers tried to compel the government to reveal whether any electronic surveillance had been used against him, and the judge declared that no such avowal is needed, the prosecutor's word is good enough. That stretched the limits of credulity two weeks ago and does even more so now.