[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The problem with the NSA

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 12 12:08:45 PDT 2013

CG: I don't think the comments so far reflect an understanding of why this NSA
> surveillance is important to stop. The ACLU seems to get it.

=========

I assume you have joined or organized a local group to mobilize mass protest? Nothing anyone _says_ outside such a context indicates concern.

The problem is that if the popular power existed to stop surveillance there would also be the power to demand and achieve the release of Manning & Mumia. That power does not exist, and probably cannot at this time be generated, for a number of reasons. One is that the people who _might_ have created it embryonically have instead been cheering for the Democrats. Or merely writing blog posts or e-list posts grouching at the way things are.

That said, I agree that the surveillance is a manifestation of the death of bourgeois democracy in the U.S. Our local efforts in Bloomington/Normal over the last 8 months to mobilize opposition to the growing repressive power of the state have not met with any success. But it is necessary to continue or initiate such efforts.

Carrol