[lbo-talk] Graber on consensus

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 19:01:06 PST 2013

It may have been disruptive to certain social strata, but as a whole it has been remarkably stable. What detractors see as "crises and instability" - the advocates see as the ability to shed the dead wood and rejuvenate itself, something that few other systems could do as efficiently.

But in any case, the semantics of "growth" is one thing - no doubt that growth that is visible to the naked eye during one generation is a post 1700 phenomenon - but sustainability is a very different thing.

Even if we assume that growth is exclusively a capitalist creation, there is nothing in that growth that necessarily means inevitable limit or end. Again, it is mainly about semantics and metaphors. If we understand growth as physical expansion in a finite space (e.g. the planet) then yes, there must be a limit. But if we define it as cyclical expansions and contraction, or as growth in a multidimensional space (e.g. physical, social, informational, etc.) there is no inherent limits to it.

As I can see, sustainability of capitalism - or rather modern industrial society - lies not in some abstract economic notion, which is modern age theology anyway - but in its material and technological capacities that give it the power to overcome material forces that are detrimental to the survival of human society (e.g. lack of food, the elements, natural disasters, disease etc.). We have a much better chance to survive as society today than ever before, and the fact that two abstract lines do not cross each other where they are supposed to is totally irrelevant for this material fact.

Wojtek