[lbo-talk] Graber on consensus

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 05:44:19 PST 2013

But the problem is that per capita product can increase when the numerator (production) is growing faster than the denominator (population). The phenomenal growth of per capita GDP after 1820 is attributable not only to the increases in the aggregate level of production, but by the slow or no growth in the population.

In other words, in the pre-modern world, technological advances and increases of production it allowed invariably led to even faster growth of the population, so per capita measure changed very little or even declined. In modern times by contrast, technological advances and increases in production - which no doubt are faster than those in pre-modern times - were accompanied by progressively slowing of the population growth rates. Therefore, using per capita measure may overestimate the growth rate of the total volume of production.

Wojtek