[lbo-talk] James Heartfield's Unpatriotic History

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 6 10:47:40 PST 2013

We have a lot of audio texts from several sources, including Library of Congress. But we'd never checked for Pnychon.

Incidentally, there are enormous differences among texts in respect to how they come over in audio. Fitzgerald's Iliad comes over superbly. Paradise Lost is reasonably good. But my favorite poem, Paradise Regained simply doesn't come across in audio. I've been trying off and on for 30 years to identify what is the quality in PR which is so powerful: tentatively I think it is the syntax that holds verse paragraphs together. But _paragraphs_ are strictly a print phenomenon. They do not make themselves 'visible' to the listener. Joyce's Ulysses is wonderful in audio; perhaps even better than on the page. Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom holds its powers; less so Sound & Fury.

Carrol