[lbo-talk] James Heartfield's Unpatriotic History

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 16:01:16 PST 2013

BTW, In your introduction you use the phrase "Russia's entry into the war gave the allies a much needed opportunity..." which makes it sound as if they did so willingly. I do not think they had much choice there - they were attacked in spite of guarantees they received under the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. So a more accurate statement would be "Attack on Russia gave the allies ..." I do not want to sound as being a Russophile here, but the fact remains that if it were not for them, we would not have this conversation today.

I never thought of it as a "good war" and I do not know of many people who did, despite propaganda. As I remember growing up, people tried to forget the experience. It is the generations that were born after the war and have not directly experienced it that turned it into political tropes and national mythologies. Finkelstein makes a similar point in his "Holocaust industry" if memory serves.

-- Wojtek