[lbo-talk] James Heartfield's Unpatriotic History

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 8 04:46:15 PST 2013

Wojtek is closer to reality here. I don't think Jordan allows for how precarious the position of the U.S. globally was in 1940. Germany, to begin with, having conquered all of Europe, had a _much_ largaer industrial base than did the U.S. Hitler, true, was not going to "conquer" (occupy) the U.S. as Cortez conquered Mexico, but the U.S. would have been pretty helpless without even a toe hold in Europe and Japan 'ruling' the Pacific. Japan would have had Indonesian oil; Germany would have had the oil of the Ukraine.

And don't forget that the SU fought a short and victorious war with Japan in 1939 (or 1940?) and still moved its army back west in time to meet the German onslaught.

Carrol