[lbo-talk] Graeber

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Mar 13 10:50:15 PDT 2013

To be honest, I think that's simply because "biological" racism is something of a taboo, for obvious reasons. But the underlying message of "cultural" racism is precisely that "they" will actually never be able to assimilate.

Also, I think by stating that it's about cultural identity, you make it seem like people with an immigrant background are somehow flaunting some exotic "other" status. They aren't; they grow up here, speaking German, enmeshed in German culture. The decision to racialize them as non-Germans is a very intentional one by the majority society. ----

And then the other thing you have to ask yourself is what is this glorious white culture we're protecting? From all I can see it is a culture that has been totally debased. Its high culture /art was already exhausted and borrowing from the "primitives" at the end of the nineteenth century. Its economic system is destroying the possibility of human life on earth. And we (whites) spent most of the twentieth century mostly killing one another (two world wars were like 75 million dead?).

So what are we protecting?

Joanna