[lbo-talk] Graeber

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 13 10:57:04 PDT 2013

Angelus Novus wrote: " To be honest, I think that's simply because "biological" racism is something of a taboo, for obvious reasons. But the underlying message of "cultural" racism is precisely that "they" will actually never be able to assimilate."

Indeed. There is a substantial amount of material now on how "biological" racism gets hidden inside "cultural" racism. And it is a spontaneous reaction. About 30 years ago I explained to a class the incoherence of "race" -- and immediately several students said something like, but there's a difference in culture! In practice, when "race" is at issue, "cultured" should be seen as a perfect synonym of "biology."

Carrol