[lbo-talk] Graeber

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:01:05 PDT 2013

Joel: "I found American identity politics as intolerable as I find racism in Europe. I don't know, in the end, whether either is ultimately more or less objectionable. The Americans, I think, do a better job of harnessing difference, for reactionary ends. The Europeans, I find, are not as disingenuous, or as clever, in this regard."

[WS:] I cannot agree more. It is the main thing that divides the US working class (broadly defined) and allows the rich have their way with little or no opposition. Theda Skocpol made a similar point arguing that identity politics of a sort explain why the US does not have a social policy similar to European countries - her argument was that in Europe exclusion coincided with class lines, but in the US different identities split the working class. So when it comes to identity politics I'd say it is more than intolerable, it is more damaging than fascist reaction.

-- Wojtek