[lbo-talk] New bishop of Rome

Douglas La Rocca douglarocca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 00:58:56 PDT 2013

This stuff about Marxism being a religion is really an old saw, and was first propagated by outright reactionaries. But perhaps you're comfortable with that.

If my citing Lenin appears to you to be anachronistic, compare that to your own attitude to the Church.

What I've said above is, as Lenin points out, the ABC of Marxism. So yes, it's an automaton quote, but precisely because it's an automatic position for anyone who considers themselves a Leftist, and has been for quite some time now. Go and look up the attitude of the revolutionaries of 1848 and 1871 on these matters--you'll see that one need not be a Leninist, strictly speaking, to share this opinion. But perhaps you'd prefer to simply liquidate this history.

Is this the listserv of the Left Business Observer or the Right Business Observer? It seems to me utterly ridiculous that some are fawning over this new pope for apparently having mentioned "social justice". (Does one even need to mention, in this context, that "justice" is not a political category, as Sartre rightly noted?)

Smashing the institution of the Church is a sine qua non for the Left--and this is not an abstraction but is rather entirely consistent with the history of the Left.

-dl