[lbo-talk] Gordon on growth: a bunch of I hope not too naive questions

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 06:03:15 PDT 2013

First, a question I know is naive, about the CFR: If it is correct to assume that most senior members of the ruling class would have scorn for someone with a trust fund who spent it down to nothing, how can they be so cavalier with what could be described as the biggest trust fund they have control over, i.e., the earth and its resources?

Is it just the inexhaustible font of human hypocrisy? Or a substantial lack of imagination?

More to the point of Gordon: Wouldn't it be a good idea to do a detailed analysis---based on the state of knowledge in the physical sciences---of which areas of the economy have potential for development through innovation? For example, communication may be near its physical limits, so any improvements can have only slight impact on the economy. The production of energy is clearly an area, by contrast, with the potential for much development.

And is technological innovation the only road to growth? How well does a market economy do with matching up problems with already existing technology? Are other there other modalities available/possible that are not informal or random? (Someone happens to read an article and has an aha! moment.) Is hyperspecialization of knowledge an impediment that can be overcome?

In sum, can we get experts in many "unrelated" fields talking to each other about these issues? The CFR may not be interested, but is there some other segment of the establishment that might be?