[lbo-talk] Gordon on growth: a bunch of I hope not too naive questions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 14 09:24:28 PDT 2013

Some of these questions are or raise theoretical issues Some are empirical. Some analytic. (Incidedntally, FHP's was wrong from the start because they failed to notice that analysis and theory are quite different.) Capitalism & Growth cannot be separated, and for that reason there is no possibility within capitalism of controlling global warming. That raises problems of practice (i.e. of recruiting to mass movements and 'carving' out reform goals that do not confuse the theoretical question of capitalism & growth.)

When a social order is disintegrating, some ruling class individuals join the revolutionary movement; we are a long way from that now so we can forget about ruling-class radical reformers. A few but insignificant.

Now you seem to think that the earth is a "trust" fund for the present generation and the next one or two generations. Why? Ordered society (a world with a friendly climate for business) will last at least 60 years or so. Why should the present capitalists not simply take the position of After us the deluge? Why should they care about a century from now? Especially since capitalists do not rule capitalist society: capitalists relations of production control the way in which society must be controlled. Read Postone.

Carrol