[lbo-talk] Query on Katrina vanden Heuvel

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 05:18:34 PDT 2013

Michael S quoted "I have been in the scholastic profession long enough to know that nobody enters it unless he has some very good reason which he is anxious to conceal.'"

[WS:] I am not at all anxious to conceal. I entered because I am not an ambitious and entrepreneurial persons and I detest being around such persons, which confined my job opportunities to government and academia. I also detest workplace discipline and having to show up everyday from 9 to 5 whether I need to or not, which further confined my job opportunities to the academia (albeit I did work for government for a while). That is it. This is not to say that academia does not have ambitious and entrepreneurial characters - it certainly does - but that you do not need to be one to have your academic sinecure with its perks (relative job security, flexible work time, and relatively high level control of what you are doing.)

As to your and Carroll's attacks on Democrats - I just read "Germany Tried Democracy" by S. William Halperin. It does a nice job portraying similar attitudes among German Communist radicals who often found themselves on the same side of the barricade against Social Democrats whom they perceived as their main enemy. We know how this ended, it was tragedy. However, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the same form of behavior in disgruntled US lefties is history repeating itself, the second time as farce.

-- Wojtek