[lbo-talk] HB

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 08:30:08 PDT 2013

Joanna: "They say fresh food is more expensive"

[WS:] I do not think it is true, unless you shop at Whole Paycheck and similar yuppie outlets. We buy produce in either Asian or Latin American groceries that cater to lower income folk, and you can get very decent prices there. Ditto for seafood (I don't know about meat because we don't buy it). The only exception may be tomatoes - canned are generally less expensive than fresh, but then canned have the same if not better nutritious value than fresh ones.

The problem is not prices but habits. My wife tells me that her students, many of whom are on free or reduced meals, have money for expensive fashion items and electronics, but do not have money for food. It is clearly an issue of priorities rather than food prices. That can be further demonstrated by the fact that they often discard veggies and other nutritious supplements from lunches served in the school cafeteria. This holds for the adults as well - I know many people, especially in the mid-west, who would not touch a green vegetable to the point that they throw away lettuce and tomatoes from hamburgers served at MacDonalds.

-- Wojtek