[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

Maladvocate maladvocate at gmail.com
Wed May 8 16:22:07 PDT 2013

Several here have agreed that gun rights are mostly unimportant, a distraction. One went so far as to call the issue "a fake debate" and "intellectual and political clutter." Another more or less claimed that the second amendment is a tool invented by racists. I find that latter claim fairly incomprehensible. Blue Laws in the south, segregation, and all manner of other things can be attributed to racism but the second amendment is, among other things, codified from the English common law right to self-defense, which predates American slavery by centuries.

My sources tell me that two thirds of US citizens support the second amendment, even if a narrow majority believe stricter gun control is needed. Where does that leave the left? Ignoring the issue, which allows the anti-gun liberals to fill the void. The end result is that a majority of US citizens think that the left is as anti-gun as those liberals themselves. This "fake debate" is a very real stumbling block to educating and recruiting pro-gun rights people who want government kept out of their very social Social Security and Medicare programs, and other people.

Here is another take on anti-gun liberals, monopolies on force, squeamishness at the "machismo" of actually using force to protect self and others, and why the left should take a stronger stance against the anti-gun agenda that has been prepared for it by anti-gun liberals.

http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/01/the-rifle-on-wall-left-argument-for-gun.html

--ma