[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 05:50:57 PDT 2013

PS. I think that a sensible left position on gun ownership and control is the agreement on three points:

1. That gun ownership and control of it have negligible, if any, real effects on crime and violence in everyday life; 2. That the effects of gun ownership and control of it on the protection of lower class interests against the upper class power are highly speculative and impossible to prove or disprove; so it is best to abstain from debating this unsolvable issue; and 3. That gun ownership is an important symbol in the right wing ideology in the US, and therefore pushing for restrictions on that ownership is worth fighting for, at least for those who are inclined to actively oppose the right wing hegemony.

I think these three points summarize the arguments posted to this list and offer something to all sides of this debate. Agreeing to them will avoid unnecessary flame wars on the left

-- Wojtek