[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 06:36:25 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS. I think that a sensible left position on gun ownership and control is
> the agreement on three points:
>
> 1. That gun ownership and control of it have negligible, if any, real
> effects on crime and violence in everyday life;

Again, the public health research cited suggests otherwise at least for the population as a whole. (For you and me I'd guess that it's negligible.) That may not be the last word on the matter, but sensible agreement on that matter would have to incorporate some empirical evidence.

One might want to keep weapons handy for next month's revo or just as a matter of principle, but it appears that they are going to impose costs, and not just on the ostensible targets.

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."