[lbo-talk] FW: stupidity is most dangerous in people with high IQ

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed May 15 10:46:32 PDT 2013

A believer in measurement will say that the only problem with not performing measurements is that people will then have to rely on their "instincts." This label is of course a covert way of dismissing the "unscientific" ways in which we mostly make judgments. A good teacher knows which kid needs help with what material; a good baseball player knows the pitch that will allow for hitting the sac fly the team needs; a good poet knows a lousy line. I am aware that the word *good* in all those clauses is begging a question, but no one has devised a better test for any of these "skills" than the fact that the people who are called upon to make the judgments (and millions of others) do make them with a reasonable degree of success. There are narrowly defined areas in which an algorithm will assist a practitioner in making a judgment (the recent use of checklists by doctors is probably a good example), but most people who want more testing have something to sell---look at the schools.