[lbo-talk] FW: stupidity is most dangerous in people with high IQ

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 11:20:38 PDT 2013

Arthur: "A believer in measurement will say that the only problem with not performing measurements is that people will then have to rely on their "instincts." "

[WS:] I am not denying the possibility of reasonably objective measurements of some or even most human qualities - but most measurements used today fail that test to at least some degree. The problem - as in case of most technologies touched by capitalism - is not technical capacity of the instrument but the use to which it is put by capitalists and their stooges - to discipline, punish, and exploit. The reason why we have so many measures of everything - and most of them crappy - is precisely that - the need of capitalism to quantify everything for the purpose of control and exploitation. It is difficult to control or exploit something that cannot be quantified.

In a parallel universe free of capitalism - measurements of humanity would serve a different purpose - to better human condition instead of exploiting it, and for that reason alone would likely to have greater technical validity. But we do not live such a parallel universe - we live in a capitalist society and for that reason alone we should resit giving capitalists and their stooges any means whatsoever that can be used to facilitate capitalist control and exploitation. This means resistance to all testing among other things.

-- Wojtek