[lbo-talk] There Are No Unskilled Jobs: The Bike Shop

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 19 09:52:00 PDT 2013

Actually, this is fascinating. Ayn Rand fantasized about social collapse as a result of the "creative class" going on strike. But social collapse seems equally likely with progressive deskilling. Of course, you can't deskill all jobs: electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics....

I'm guessing this is a historic first yes? I mean no previous civilization has consciously sought mass idiocy.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Braverman an has a chapter on the deskilling of white collar work in Labor and Monopoly Capital. Taylor himself worked on deskilling office labor.

When I taught this stuff large Midwestern State universities also 29-30 years a ago, the students were interested, as I recall, but did find it remote from their concerns. Except the premeds. The HMO was advanced enough that they could see what was happening there.

The unpaid internships seem less deskilling to me than a blatant effort at getting not-necessarily-Taylorized labor for free, super exploitation. It's not just young people either.

Sent from my iPad