[lbo-talk] There Are No Unskilled Jobs: The Bike Shop

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 14:06:28 PDT 2013

Joanna: "I'm guessing this is a historic first yes? I mean no previous civilization has consciously sought mass idiocy."

[WS:] How about the idiocy of the rural life bemoaned by the Old Man ;)?

More seriously, I take your point that unpaid internship is hyperexploitation rather than deskilling, but as such it has historical precedence (apprenticeship).

The way I look at this is that these processes are relative rather than absolute. Deskilling of white collar jobs can go only so far - you cannot hire complete ignoramuses to do these jobs effectively. You need so minimum skill level. Instead, these efforts aim at removing workers' autonomy that is rather high in many white collar occupations. You still need to have some level of skills, but by dividing jobs into simpler routines the control is shifted upwards to the management. This is particularly evident in teaching -where direct service providers (teachers and adjuncts) lost control over two most important aspects of these jobs - curriculum and evaluations. The same applies to medical practice, where doctors lose control (although to a lesser extent) over important decision - such as the course of treatment, which is shifting to HMO management and inscos.

None of it is likely to result in idiocracy, but rather in a Soviet style workplace discipline.

-- Wojtek