[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed Reconsidered

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 28 17:36:15 PDT 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps I should state again, as I have in the past, the principle at work
> in my examples. Racism does not cause Stop & Frisk; Stop and Frisk causes
> (generates and regenerates) racist ideology. In the last instance practice
> is always prior to and generative of theory as well as the pseudo-theory of
> ideology. Miles Jackson has also written on this frequently.

Yes. Or, as Barbara Fields says, racism isn't an attitude, it's a set of practices.

Carrol, I know you have a hard time reading these days but I bet you'd like the book Fields did with her sister Karen Fields, Racecraft. I interviewed Barbara about the book a while back - you might like listening:

http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#S130214

Doug