[lbo-talk] Got book reviewers? bloggers?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 1 17:31:20 PDT 2013

As much as I disliked Jerry Rubin, he really did contribute to the ending of the Red Hunt when he showed up before HUAC in a Continental Army uniform! I think leftists tend to over-rate the political effectiveness of humor, but sometimes it really works.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of JOANNA A. Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 7:05 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Got book reviewers? bloggers?

You are probably right, as usual. However, if you're trying to make money selling a book, "McCarthyism" means a lot more to most readers than Truman....

And maybe the book is shite. In which case, it still makes sense to have an intelligent leftie review it, and I am offering that opportunity.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- That book title is vicious. The label "McCarthyism" is a gross obfuscation of historical reality. Truman. Eisenhower. Humphrey. Those are the names that correctly focus the Red Hunt.

On the part of anyone who has researched a book on the period, one suspects the obfuscation is deliberate.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of JOANNA A. Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 5:14 PM To: lbo-talk Subject: [lbo-talk] Got book reviewers? bloggers?

A friend who does publicity for Oxford U. Press is looking for any NYC blogs, listservs, newsletters etc that might be interested in Fordham’s forthcoming book RED APPLE: Communism and McCarthyism in Cold War New York? Free review copies available.

Write me if you're interested,

Joanna