[lbo-talk] Linguistics query

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 07:13:11 PST 2013

In English, the expectation is that modifiers will be as near as possible to what they modify. With a series of adverbial prepositional phrases indicating location you would want to have the most specific one closest to the action: "He shot himself in the left temple of his head in the head of a battleship floating in Santa Fe harbor on the western coast of the United States."

One sort of dangling modifiers ("I shot an elephant in my pajamas") often is the result of ignoring this principle.