[lbo-talk] A short soliloquy on freedom and fishing

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 13:59:25 PST 2013

I think Shane has (understandably) confused a priori and a posteriori because they are applied in different (and sometimes contradictory) ways by Kant and by other philosophers. Time, Space, and Causality are *a priori*for Kant in the sense that they are preconditions for any experience whatsoever---they are precisely what cannot be learned from experience.

A priori as applied to *knowledge* is perhaps what Durkheim had in mind (whether he solved the problem correctly or not). A priori knowledge is usually *analytic*, that is, it is given by the terms of a proposition. "My brother is male," is a classic example.

I do agree with Shane about the appropriation of philosophy by social scientists, though. At least, WS is not justified in treating the issue of what is innate and what as learned as anywhere near settled!