[lbo-talk] Bruce Bartlett: " I think it is only a matter of time before the Tea Party morphs into unapologetic fascism"

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Nov 12 15:28:58 PST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> To use an example - if I believe that astrological signs influence
> world
> events, and pursuant to those beliefs I start mobilizing people in the
> military who were born under certain astrological signs and those
> people
> eventually back me up and support my revolutionary effort and defeat
> my
> enemies - does this vindicate my original belief linking
> astrological signs
> to a successful revolutionary outcome? I don't think so.

That's because your experiment has no controls, not merely because, as any competent astrologer will tell you, the "sun sign" in itself has no significance because everything depends on the horoscope as a whole. Even so, if your selection principle proves more successful in recruiting followers, compared to the selection techniques followed by all the other would-be coup leaders, that would still constitute [weak] evidence for the usefulness of sun-sign "astrology."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64