[lbo-talk] tipping and control

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 08:44:27 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM, JOANNA A. <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> "meh. I suppose all the purity rituals in leftist organization -
> banning people, demanding adherance to behavior rules, constant search
> for anyone who doesn't toe the line, are you a real marxist or a mere
> liberal or progressive, if, among progressives, are you a whack job
> commie - belies the idea that purity is a conservative thing."
>
> Who says a lot of Marxist grouplets are not basically conservative?
> I had the misfortune of belonging to a Trotskyist sect for a couple of
> years. I thought they were extremely conservative.

I think that dynamic is mostly confined to the politically active, which is a sliver of the population. I'm pretty sure the study was done on a broader swath. Also, it's supposed to be a tendency, not a defining characteristic.

> Very very true. But what my daughter observed was that they were bitchy
> before they got a table and lamb-like afterward....still fifteen, twenty
> minutes before actual food arrived. Though granted, when they sat down,
> there was bread and water.

And, shortly thereafter, booze. That was something that was emphasized in my brief stint as a waiter -- get them their booze and that buys you a lot of patience. Sure works on me.

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."