[lbo-talk] tipping and control, again

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 11:49:46 PST 2013

I think the point in the original post has been lost.... The idea was that some how tipping, that is buying service entitled the customer to become the `owner' in a particularly obnoxious way. The owner, owns the servant in a master-slave dialectic. It's a pretty common experience if you worked in a service occupation.

I used to encounter this all the time in minor ways where the wheelchair owner was very picky about how I worked on their chair. I understood and didn't mind within certain limits. But every so often, the relationship moved out of acceptable and into really oppressive terrain.

Very occasionally it reacted intolerable limits. And I would go off. Very ugly scenes followed, where your Worship went to see the Boss. Lectures followed on my behavior. etc.

That's what the waitress and her obnoxious customer reminded me of. It's very common in heavily class conscious regions and contexts.

In the political economy on a grand scale we are being subjected to this domination all the time through officialdom and its obsequious kowtow to moneyed interests. It's embodied in the now legal doctrine that money is free speech. I don't think there is any doubt that Obama is Blankfein's bitch.

CG