[lbo-talk] Cogent commenter on NYT article

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 10:43:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gar: "I think Wojo is confusing better ways of organizing society"
>
> [WS:] I do not think I am as confused as I look. <long explanation of
> public goods snipped which I don't think anyone will argue> But
> that does not mean that we should take the status quo as a the final
> arbiter and refrain from problematizing it and considering alternatives.
>
> I will note that in other areas, you don't confuse "not taking the status
quo as a given" with "acting as though the status quo does not exist". You don't shoplift just because the current wage system (some would say all wage systems) are unfair. But you seem to elevate not paying for information - not even under the actually existing system - to a principle. You see why I think you are confused. Category error: long term goal, vs. how to interact with the system as it currently exists. You seem to think that the way to achieve your long term goal is to act as though it had already been achieved. W