[lbo-talk] Cogent commenter on NYT article

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 11:50:29 PDT 2013

Gar: "But you seem to elevate not paying for information - not even under the actually existing system - to a principle."

[WS:] Yeah, that may be offensive to information producers. I've seen that a lot, people being incensed by piracy, copyright violations etc. Being determines consciousness.

However, I would like to clarify the principle that you mention - as a principle, I do not pay for something that I can get for free - not just information but everything. If I cannot get it for free, I make a judgment whether that something is worth the price. If it ain't, I don't pay. It is called rational behavior. Everybody does it. I got involved in this discussion only because Doug and others chastised me for acting rationally and not wanting to pay for something.

In any case - this threat seems to be exhausted.

-- Wojtek