[lbo-talk] Looking for a sailing poem

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 22:11:26 PDT 2013

Actually, the poetic tradition was not transmitted formerly by study but by *reading.* A case could be made that study was what killed it; or maybe just that study sought to preserve the tradition by artificial means when it was already moribund and (inevitably?) failed. Or yet another alternative: that it was never more than a niche interest and remains so.

Pretty confident (if not thoroughly clear why) that the way we live now is not conducive; for instance, my niece, an emerging choreographer, was talking the other day---I was slightly shocked to hear her say it---about how "dated" someone's 2005 piece now seems.