[lbo-talk] Crisis or New Normal

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Thu Oct 24 07:03:18 PDT 2013

On 25/10/2013, at 12:38 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My problem on this list is that I detest populism of any variety - which
> earns me scorn of those who operate within the left-wing populism
> framework.

Populism is one of the traits I find endearing about Americans. Remember that the alternative is even more unpleasant, which is to say that while the populist instinctively appeals to the populace as the ultimate authority, the authoritarian instinctively appeals to the powerful, in matters of political dispute.

As I say, my impression is that Americans more often than not tend to a populist bent, they will appeal to the public for support to affect change, while Europeans (particularly the poms) are usually more inclined to appeal to the elite for their understanding.

I guess its a matter of personal taste, as well as cultural bias, though. I would go along with you to some extent, Americans do tend to take populism to extremes, just as they take democracy to absurd extremes. (Even electing dog rangers and the like.) Though the oddest thing to an outsider is that the populace seems to presume they have a right to a voice on all sorts of matters whether or not they make any reasonable attempt to keep abreast of the facts that are needed to inform sound decision-making.

(I picture a jury belligerently asserting its God-given right to pronounce guilt or innocence despite sleeping through the entire trial.)

But again, you can't help loving this feature of American culture. Though I suppose it is possible to detest it at some level simultaneously.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas