[lbo-talk] Crisis or New Normal

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 07:20:40 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-24, at 10:03 AM, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> On 25/10/2013, at 12:38 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My problem on this list is that I detest populism of any variety - which
>> earns me scorn of those who operate within the left-wing populism
>> framework.
>
> Populism is one of the traits I find endearing about Americans. Remember that the alternative is even more unpleasant, which is to say that while the populist instinctively appeals to the populace as the ultimate authority, the authoritarian instinctively appeals to the powerful, in matters of political dispute.

Populism is not necessarily antagonistic to authorianism. Arguably, these characteristics are seen more in combination than counterposed - Naziism being the most notable example. Populist movements, despite their grassroots and anti-capitalist features, have more often than not, because of the anti-intellectual strain which runs through them, been easy prey for demagogues.